Monday, September 2, 2013

Making homemade hot sauce! Caliente!

At the farmer's market, they had these beautiful serranos, so I bought a pound and decided to make hot sauce for the first time ever! I've always wanted to make hot sauce, so this is going to be fun!
In a saucepan, I put the following.
  • 1/2 pound of serrano peppers, without seeds
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons of our own harvested Brooklyn honey
  • 3 tablespoons of water
  • 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
  • 3 cloves of garlic (although, it could have used more)
  • half bunch of cilantro
  • 1 1/2 limes juiced
  • salt to taste
I used serranos in this recipe, but I bet you can use just about any hot pepper. Just remember, some peppers are hotter than others, so do your research first on how hot you like it. I roughly chopped everything and sauteed the peppers, salt and garlic in the olive oil until soft, then added the water, honey, lime juice and cilantro. Cook until the cilantro wilted then took off the flame. Poured into a blender then added the white vinegar. Puree until blended. Taste, add more salt if needed.
The hot sauce came out a gorgeous green color and was delicious! The honey flavor really shines through and this hot sauce is sooooo GOOD. It's slightly sweet and very spicy. I am going to try this on everything!

I really loved how easy it was to make hot sauce! I don't know why I was always scared of it. Do you make your own hot sauce? What do you put in yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad