Paul looks so happy holding up the frames! The reason being, this is the first time we've seen honey on the frames! The honey on these frames are for the bees to eat. Nonetheless, this makes us super happy to see that they are producing honey since so far, all we have seen is brood and pollen.
Despite getting stung, we moved on to visit our other hive 4 blocks away on the rooftop. Getting stung is part of beekeeping, you just have to get used to it. In this photo we are removing propolis from the frames. Propolis is a sticky substance that the bees collect, usually made up of tree sap. The bees use it as a sealant or glue to fill in gaps within the beehive. They put the propolis all along the edges of the frames and box, and we remove it so that it doesn't build up too much.
A better look. See her now? Everytime we do an inspection, we always look for the Queen to make sure she's still alive. Without a Queen, the hive will not survive. When we see her on the frames, we breathe a sigh of relief.
So swollen that I couldn't bend my fingers. I saw my doctor and she said that it's likely that I have a mild allergy to bee venom. She prescribed me a steroid to help with the swelling and in 5 days I was back to normal. I must say, my body's reaction to beesting venom really scared me. In all my life, I've never gotten stung this badly before. My doctor tells me that the more I get stung the more my body will build a resistance to bee venom. So in a way, I should look forward to getting stung more often. Too bad it hurts.... a lot.