Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Operation Backpack

I don't have kids, but every year I buy school supplies for a deserving school kid. Since 2007, my friend Ruth and I have been participating in Operation Backpack. Operation Backpack is a program geared towards collecting backpacks filled with school supplies for homeless children and children living in shelters in the greater NYC area. The goal is to get volunteers to buy a years worth of school supplies for one child, this year they hope to collect 15,000 backpacks to give away to the kids.  Here is a sampling of some of the school supplies they need. Notebooks, glue, crayons, pencils, pens, paper, markers, scissors, folders, glue, erasers, tissues, and hand sanitizer. These are the supplies I picked for my backpack.
Lots of stores are having back to school sales, so I got lots of these for a really good price. Here's the backpack I picked up to fill up.
They are collecting backpacks until August 9th, so there is still time to participate. If you would like to fill a backpack, all the details can be found here.  And backpacks can be dropped off here.

I dug up some old photos of backpacks that I've donated in the past. It surprised me that I've been doing this for 7 years! I  started donating backpacks since 2007 when my friend Ruth encouraged me to do so. I am missing photos of the backpack from 2007, 2009, and 2010.  I wish I took a photo of them. From looking at these backpacks, it's funny how I have always picked out pink ones and really girly. Hahahaha.  Every year, I look forward to buying the backpack and picking up the supplies, because I know that it's going to make one kid super happy. And that makes me happy. If I can help just one kid in need, that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad