Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Grapes Progress Report

To my surprise, the one thing in the garden that is growing so rapidly are the grapes.  Ten days ago, it looked like this.  This week, it has more than doubled in size!  This is our first year with grapes on the vine, so this is all very exciting to us.
At this rate, I wonder if they will be ready to eat by end of July??  That would be so awesome.
There are at least 15 grape bunches growing on this vine alone.  It's wonderful how prolific it is this year!  This vine is the Pink Reliance, of our 4 grapevines, this variety is growing the best.  It is much larger than the other vines and has the most bunches.

6 comments:

  1. I've got a few bunches on one of ours!

    Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you going to protect them from "varmits"? My neighbor has a grape vine that has wandered into our yard and I think I might just have to claim that portion of the vine as mine.... But last year the bunny ate them all. I tied them up this year so they are on top of our 5 foot fence. Curious to see how you are protecting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what fun! I would love to plant some grapes here when I find the time. Years ago when we were renting a house, the lady next door to us (who had a fabulous garden/backyard) had a huge grape arbor. Since she had been recently widowed she had stopped making wine so gave us a bushel of grapes. It was our first time making wine (a melomel, actually- honey/grape- Mmmm).
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they look amazing. You might just have to make grape leaves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They do look fantastic! That's a lot of growth in just 10 days. I'll be eager to see how they all end up doing for you...good to know in case I ever decide to put some in here. I'm assuming they need full sun, huh?

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad