Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Making Sourdough Pizza!

I have lots of sourdough starter and have been looking for ways to use it. I found a sourdough pizza recipe that uses up one whole starter! Sweet! I decided to give it a try!
I followed the recipe and let it rise. Then I put the pizza dough in a ziploc bag to make pizza the next day. Since the dough takes awhile to rise, it's best to start this in the morning or early afternoon if you want pizza for dinner. Or do as I did and put the dough in the fridge for the next day.
Rolled out the dough and added marinara sauce and cheese.
This came out soooooo good! The pizza didn't come out as crispy as I liked so I'll have to see if I can invest in a pizza stone. I'll definitely try this recipe again when I want to get rid of some of my sourdough starter. Do you use starter? What do you bake with it?

1 comment:

  1. I make two loaves of bread every week with my sourdough starter. Just like you, I hate the idea of throwing out have the starter each time I feed it. So I don't, but I've found a way to avoid ending up with several jars of starter: every time you feed the beast, add WAY more water than flour. The starter should be as runny as milk. The following day, when you feed it again, throw out the water that has floated up to the top (give it to any acid-loving plants), and proceed as before.
    It took me a while to figure it out, but half the starter gets thrown out in order to avoid excess acidity (which is detrimental to gluten formation). Getting rid of excess water does the same thing, without 'wasting' flour.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad