Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Banana Plant Grows in Staten Island

I've been home for over a week and a half now, and it's been quite busy since I've been back. Being away for 2 1/2 months was great, but getting back to the swing of things at home has been crazy!  Mail to sort through, family and friends to see, clients to meet, and not to mention the upcoming holidays.  It's been a whirlwind of activity.  Even though we are well into winter, plants and gardening are still in the forefront of my mind.  I got an email from a fellow Staten Island gardener Ralph, who I met at Revel Gardener's seed swap event back in September.  At that event, I had mentioned to him that if he had other banana plants available in the future that I would be interested in getting one.  In his email, he said he had a new banana plant transplant that he split from his original plant that he was ready to give to me.  So excited!!  Banana plants are tropical so they need to be indoors during the winter.  (Another plant that I have added to the list of plants I must schlep inside!  Yikes.) I hope that I can get this plant to fruit in 3 years!  That would be so amazing!  Thanks again Ralph for such an amazing gift!



4 comments:

  1. Growing bananas in New York. That would be amazing! Good luck to you, and keep us posted on the progress. It's similar to grapes in that they are supposed to be "in place" for three years before they produce harvestable grapes. It's a long wait, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely healthy looking banana plant. Hope it fruits for you.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad