Friday, March 18, 2011

Gardening Books Obsession

I still find it hard to believe that around this time last year, we started gardening for the very first time!  Both my husband and I have parents who are avid gardeners, and growing up, neither of us were too interested in gardening at all.  In fact, when I was a teenager, I avoided it like the plague.  For me, I was never interested because my dad always made me do the chores that I absolutely hated.    Like weeding, watering the plants, digging up bulbs, and raking leaves.  I hated those chores, and STILL DO!  Haha.  However, nowadays I realize how important these chores are, so despite hating them, I do them because I want a nice garden.  I looked up when I wrote my first garden post on this blog, and I just had my one year blogaversary.  March 14th, 2010 was my very first entry!  Back then, we knew nothing about gardening, really everything was a hands-on learning experience and reading all YOUR gardening blogs.  The gardening blogsphere is so knowledgeable!  In no time flat, I became totally and completely obsessed with learning as much as I could about gardening.  I became a complete sponge.  This time last year, we owned one book, "Garden Primer".  It's still my favorite, and go-to resource. Fast forward one year and now we have this stack! 
Last week, the hubs received this book to add to our collection as a birthday gift from his brother and girlfriend.  I'm looking forward to reading "I Garden: Urban Style", and hope to get some good tips.  I was also happy to see some familiar garden blogger faces profiled in the book, like this guy, and this guy.  What are your favorite gardening / preserving books.  What do you recommend we get next?

9 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! i was unaware of some those books! more for the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Backyard Homestead. Another two I carry out to the garden with me and keep close when planning out the plots is Carrots Love Tomatos and The Vegetable Gardeners Bible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like ya'll have some good resources there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend SUPER HIGHLY the A-Z encyclopedia of Garden Plants and Plant Propagation from the American Horticultural Society. They have AMAZING information and I look at them both on a daily basis!!! They have REAL information that you can't find online, without getting a ton of different responses to what you should do.

    I am interested in the landscaping books that you have - do you recommend any of them in particular?

    Here are some Amazon Links:

    http://www.amazon.com/American-Horticultural-Society-Encyclopedia-Garden/dp/0756606160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300460599&sr=8-1

    http://www.amazon.com/American-Horticultural-Society-Propagation-Plant-/dp/0789441160/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300460617&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I've never relied on a garden book for my gardening! I do like the online forums on gardening, where they offer hard to find information about garden problems. Gardeners with experience regularly post on those sites. It is my go to resource!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when my collection was that size. It now takes up 3 shelves on one of my book cases. I have no less than 3 books on each subject, lol roses, perreneals, annuals, shrubs, trees, african violets (I don't even grow these, lol), houseplants, gardening and such, but my veggie stack takes up one shelf all by itself. I can TOtally relate to the gardening book obsession you got going on...take note, it will only get worse, lol but that's actually a good thing...you can't be over-educated when it comes to working the earth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you already have some great suggestions! Personally I love garden magazines more than books. My favorite has to be Horticulture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some of my favorites in your pile, especially Backyard Homestead! Want a few more? I love Canning and Preserving by Ashley English, You Grow Girl by Gayla Trail, and Bountiful Container by Stuckey and McGee. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always makes me smile to know that my book was given as a gift! I do hope you enjoy it and are able to learn from it.

    All the best,
    MN

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad