Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ooooh Sweet Berry Goodness!

This is my favorite time of the year! Strawberry season! I've been going out to the berry patch everyday on the lookout for ripe red berries.
At long last, I have spotted some red berry goodness!  Oh yes please.  I try to be good and not eat them as I pick them.  Ok, I may have tasted one berry out in the patch!  
Day 1 of berry picking.  I picked 3 berries!
 Day 2 - 14 strawberries.
All over the garden, I also found half eaten strawberries.  Most likely, these were from squirrels as these were way on the other side of the garden.  I get so annoyed seeing red ripe berries that are half eaten like this.  Annoying!!
Day 3 - All the berries are now getting going turning red and sweet.  Half a pound of strawberries! I would have doubled this haul if it weren't for the bugs and slugs that I see on some of the berries.  So many berries perish because of the dang bugs.  This year I wanted to use diatomaceous earth, but I never got around to using it!
Washed and cleaned off, I cut off the tops and they go into a ziploc bag and into the freezer. I will collect all the berries for the freezer until I have enough to make strawberry jam / preserve!
Day 4 - The biggest haul yet!  One pound of strawberries!  Sa-weet!
All washed and ready to be processed for the freezer.  Ahh, it takes pure willpower to not pop all of these into my mouth.  The only thing that stops me from devouring all of these is how good the strawberry jam is.  Oooh, homemade jam!

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I too have been out poking at the strawberry plants every day for the past week or so, waiting for the berries to turn red. I would never have the willpower to save up the berries from the yard until I had enough for jam! I usually go out and pick my jam berries at a farm, and save the smaller haul from the yard for fresh eating and freezing whole. You have some serious willpower!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad