Sunday, August 28, 2011

Riding Out the Storm

It's about midnight now and the eye of the storm is inching closer and closer to us.  The outer bands are right below us now, and we are getting lots of rain and we are starting to get strong rain gusts.  On the news they were saying we could get a foot of rain!  That is a lot of rain.  The garden is definitely going to flood. :(
Since I was pretty much stuck in the house all day, I decided to take this time to make a batch of Sweet Dill Pickles. I went to the market before the storm and picked up dill, habaneros and onions.  The cucumbers, and garlic are from the garden.  I tried to grow habaneros like I did last year, but none of the seeds germinated.
Yesterday, in anticipation of the storm, I harvested some Heirloom Tomatoes, Isis Candy, Chocolate Cherry and Jaune Flamme.  Since I had a bunch of ripe tomatoes, I had an idea to make some fresh bruschetta. The rest of the ingredients, I harvested this morning. I picked some Italian Genovese Basil and got a bulb of homegrown Garlic that is hanging in the rafters of the garage.   Add a bit of olive oil and sea salt, and that's it! Everything everyone says about Heirloom Tomatoes are so true!  I didn't grow up eating Heirloom Tomatoes so this is a new experience for me. They are so tasty and flavorful, it's like candy!  No wonder everyone loves and raves about them.  Isn't this just gorgeous?  I am loving all the different colors of tomatoes.  As a kid, I only ate red tomatoes, so to know that they come in all these different shades of Orange, Yellow, Purple/Brown is amazing!!
I didn't have any crunchy loaves of bread at home, so I just toasted 2 slices of bread and scooped the bruschetta on top.  Oooooh is this ever good!  I could eat this every day!  I may be stuck at home during this Hurricane, but at least I am eating well!

7 comments:

  1. It's getting pretty nasty here right now. So it will most like start hitting you in a couple of hours.

    Too bad about the habaneros. The plant from the seeds you sent me have produced the biggest habaneros I have ever seen!

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bruschetta looks sooooo good! Feed yourself well. Although the storm may be brief, I have a feeling after checking the news most recently that we'll be in for a long period of "correction." Given that Con Ed may turn off a grid if flooding in lower Manhattan gets bad (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/27/nyc-hurricane-con-edison-_n_939080.html), it could take several days before downtown opens up again. I'm guessing that's a barometer for the rest of the city to get fully back on its feet. Let us know how your plants fare. Good you have the garage ... I'm thinking they'll be safe there. Best o'luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you may be stuck inside, but you will be eating well. That's what I was thinking as I was reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I hope the storm passes quickly and you can check in with the after-report soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get what you mean about the tomatoes. Before last year I had only ever had store bought red tomatoes and I though I loved those - Now I'm totally addicted to heirloom and home grown varieties - Garden Candy!

    I hope you get through the hurricane safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you and your garden have survived the storm! Your snack looks delicious! And really, once you have a home grown tomato, it's pretty impossible to go back to the store bought blandness of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe! I hope the garden will come through okay.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad