Friday, February 24, 2012

Overwintering Plants on the Sun Porch

I'm lucky to have an enclosed sun porch where I can keep the citrus and tropical plants during the winter. The porch is not heated, so the temperature does drop to the low 40s at times.  The porch usually stays about 10 degrees above the outside temperature. Luckily, the citrus plants don't mind when the temperature drops. It's a great place for me to overwinter plants.  This is the dwarf lime tree that I have had for 3 years.  I have to learn how to fertilize it better.  I use Growmore organic citrus fertilizer, but I have yet to see this plant produce one lime!  I dream of the day that it will. Right next to the lime tree is my potted spearmint plant.
I bought this spearmint plant last summer as a 4 inch pot.  Look how big it is now!  I know other gardeners think that mint is an evil plant that will take over the garden.  I personally love mint, and I'm tempted to plant it in the ground.  Haha, I know, they take over like weeds.  For now, they reside in pots. I know mint will survive being outside for the winter and will grow back in the spring, but I do love access to fresh herbs to cook with all winter long.  So here it sits soaking up the sun on the porch.  The mint plant is thriving, every day it sends out new shoots.   Nothing beats fresh herbs!  The smell of fresh mint is intoxicating!  Now.... if only I had fresh limes from my lime tree!  I could make mojitos if I did!

5 comments:

  1. Great to know you can over winter your lime plant in a place that has temperatures as low as 40F. My house can get as cold as 58F in winter by my big south facing windows . I always thought it would be too cold for a citrus plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your porch get sun most of the day? Our sun porch faces north and I've been afraid to put the plants out there in the winter. But maybe I'll give it a try with a few next year. And putting the mint out there what a great idea! I would have thought it would die back even at 40F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My porch gets sun most of the day. It's very sunny in there and is why the plants do so well. I do not recommend putting your plants on the enclosed porch unless it gets at least 8 hours of sun.

      Delete
  3. Does your porch get sun most of the day? Our sun porch faces north and I've been afraid to put the plants out there in the winter. But maybe I'll give it a try with a few next year. And putting the mint out there what a great idea! I would have thought it would die back even at 40F.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad