Sunday, May 15, 2011

Berry, Berry Good!

We planted 25 roots of Strawberries last year. I'm guessing we have more than 25 plants now in the bed because they sent out runners like crazy. I saw some birds stalking the berries the other day, so we bought bird netting and covered the entire bed.  We tied the netting to the picket fence.  I really hope this deters the birds.  Do you use bird netting?  Does it help?
I saw that there are lots and lots of berries growing. I can't wait until they start turning red!  I don't know if I'll have enough berries to make a jam, but I definitely want to make a strawberry syrup for pancakes and ice cream.  Oooh, berry, berry, good!

9 comments:

  1. We use bird netting. In fact, we just put ours out today too. I really does help. I noticed our first berry starting to turn red and knew it was time. I hope you get tons of strawberries. Fresh from the garden is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh the almost invisible netting is quite tempting me to plant some strawberries going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covered mine, and that did stop the birds. But then, a chipmunk discovered the berries. I haven't outwitted him YET!
    Your plants look very healthy. I hope you have a great crop!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the berries, hope you get a nice crop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see many blooms there. Perhaps this year you will have your home-made strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, I bet you'll have enough for jam! I did last year with 10 plants. We're picking every day right now! I have bird netting at the ready, but so far we've been ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - yes, strawberry jam is on your horizon for sure! I have a friend who uses bird netting over her raspberry plants - she says they wouldn't get any berries without it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those plants look so healthy! The ones I have don't get enough light. I do have a bunch of small plants I need to move around. I will need to use a net if I don't want birds to eat the berries. So far, there has only been a few at a time, which the birds have helped themselves to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been getting a few, our's are in containers.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad