Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Planting the Leek Seedlings

Some time ago, Allison over at The Life of a Novice asked me how I transplanted my leek seedlings.  I've been so busy with life and gardening that I just realized that I never answered her question.  I've never grown leeks before, so this may not be the best method, but this is what I did.  I started my leeks indoors at the end of March. 
When they got to be 3-4 inches tall, I hardened them off and then marked off the spacing in the raised bed per the seed packet instructions.  I just carefully placed them in the dug holes and watered them carefully.  The leek seedlings are really small and I had to be super careful getting them out of the pot.  Since putting them in the ground, they haven't grown significantly...  I'm hoping they get nice and big soon enough.  I'm going to direct sow some more seeds into the raised bed, just in case these seedlings don't make it.  I love leeks so I definitely want these to grow!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Mimi! The ones I started indoors don't look so hot so I think I just may try to direct sow some as well.

    Good Luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember if I started my first leeks from seeds over 30 years ago, as a young gardener, or what, but they turned out pretty good. I'm thinking they didn't turn out as good the next year. I haven't grown them for a long time. I'd like to try again.

    The tomatoes, peppers, basils, and such that I planted inside in March ran out of room in those little expandable pots, and I didn't get a chance to put them into something bigger. They are all stunted now, and I don't know if they will make it. I've been trying to harden them off so I can plant them. I did plant a few basils, but not all, because it could storm this evening.

    I hope your little cuties make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they are that small, it's hard to tell them from grass....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put some of leeks in too. They take a long time to grow. Last year I think that the first ones were harvested in October. They can stay in during the winter and you will have leeks to harvest during those cold snowy winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My leek seedlings are still super tiny :) I'll have to wait a while more until they are ready to transplant into the garden

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad