Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Fruit That Isn't Compatible to My Growing Zone

One of my favorite fruits is the lychee.  Unfortunately for us, the lychee cannot be grown in our climate or zone since it's a tropical tree.  Oh, how I would love to be able to grow these babies!  It's native to China and is also grown in other Asian countries, Thailand, Vietnam, India, and Malaysia.  Usually, we can only find this fruit canned in syrup, however, this time of year, we can find it fresh and imported from Asia.  I don't normally advocate buying produce that travels so many miles to get to us, however, since we can't even grow them here, I'll make an exception since I love the sweet lychee.  I know, I know, it's not very environmentally friendly of me to buy a fruit that was shipped from Asia, but... I can't pass up how good they are.  It brings back great memories when I can get my hands on the fresh ones.  When I was a kid, my parents used to buy the fresh fruit and give it to us as a special treat.  Since they travel so many miles to get here, Lychee fruit is usually quite expensive, at $5 or $6 a pound.  Yesterday, I saw it for $3 a pound and had to buy it.
Even though lychee fruit is very ordinary for me since I grew up eating it, I've come to learn that many of my friends have never eaten it before.  It's not something you normally see in an American supermarket, I've only ever seen Lychees for sale at Asian supermarkets, in Chinatown or at fruit street vendors in the city.  This is what the lychee looks like.  It has a bumpy rough exterior that makes it great for shipping.  It protects the fruit inside.  The fruit has a white flesh, and is sweet and light.  It also has a brown pit in the middle.  I find it incredibly refreshing, and it's lovely in a sweet martini.  Yum.  If you see these being sold in your area, get them!  You will not be sorry, they are delicious!

7 comments:

  1. I ate so much lychee when I was pregnant! I found lychee juice with water and a ton of crushed ice was exactly what i wantee all the time! And now it's been months since I've had one... I have been meqning to make a trip to the asian market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen these--I'll give them a try, but hope I don't get TOO attached, at $3 a pound!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I have [not surprisingly!] ever heard of these; I will have to keep my eyes peeled in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lychee too! With Ice-cream! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen them at the Asian market. I might try them next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the texture like and what do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. the taste is awesome my fav fruit i love it...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad