Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Horseradish Greens

I am so estatic that all 5 horseradish roots have started to sprout! Woohoo!  Even the skinny scrawny roots that Burpee sent me sprouted.  Although, the smaller roots definitely have smaller leaf sprouts.  I took this photo before it started to rain, rain, and rain.  It's been raining for days and forecasted to rain 2 more.  Ugh.  On Monday, I bought a wine barrel planter to transplant these roots into, to give them some more breathing room.  However, since it's been raining non-stop, it will have to wait.  I love that in this photo, you can see my trusty green garden cart.  That cart is the best garden tool... ever!  Do you think I should plant all 5 roots into the half wine barrel planter?  I still don't think that's enough room.  Maybe I should put 3 roots in there and leave 2 of the smaller roots in this container.  Do you grow horseradish?  Advice is greatly needed.

9 comments:

  1. Is there a reason why you're not putting them in the ground? Plants grown in pots lose at least one, and possibly two, hardiness zones. If you overwinter them outside in pots, there is a good chance they won't survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never grown horseradish. VeggiePak over at Backyard Organic Vegetables did a post on his. I think that one plant can get very very big! Maybe you should take a look at his post and ask his advise on how long it takes one plant to get as big as his did. I have no idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I haven't ever planted horseradish, but I sure wish I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison -- Meemsnyc had mention in the linked post that horseradish is invasive. She's trying to keep it confined.

    Meemsnyc -- I'm intersted in growing horseradish. What foods do you use it with? I saw that one person makes salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I know about horseradish is that it needs a lot of moisture which why we have not try to grow it in this driest capital in Australia where we live. Perhaps you can transfer some to another pot as it might need more space to grow, instead of all five of them in the same container. I think it is a good idea as you plan to transfer three and leave 2 in the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good. Horseradish fills in and spreads. Whatever space you give it, it will fill eventually. If you want a lot, go for two containers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grow horseradish! This is its second year in a rather smallish container. It hasn't missed a beat and so far looks great. Apparently in the ground it will spread and become a menace. I'd plant all 5. You can always divide it later if it gets too crowded. I hope the rain lets up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know much about horseradish.

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one plant in the middle of a very large (half-barrel) container. I put it there after I saw the plant of the friend who gave me the root to start with. Her plant had spread across five feet of ground! She said she tried one year to dig it all out, to use the space for something else, but it came back.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad