Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hibiscus Bouncing Back

I finally see leaves coming back to the hibiscus plant. It lost most of it's leaves over the winter when I had it indoors, and aphids overtook the plant.  Since the plant was indoors, I aggressively sprayed in with Eco-Smart organic pesticide.  It killed all the aphids, but the poor plant dropped a lot of it's leaves because of it.  As soon as the weather warmed up, I brought the hibiscus back out to the patio.  Since then it has slowly grown back some of it's leaves again!
Here's a bird's eye view of it.  I'm so happy that this plant bounced back.  Aphids are nasty little buggers.
I also spied some flower buds forming.  I hope this plant puts on a show like it did last year.  Last year, it bloomed a flower every day.  Just gorgeous!  I love hibiscus plants, but I must say, they are a bit high maintenance.  They have to be watered every day, sprayed occasionally for aphids, and brought inside every winter.  But the pretty blooms really make up for all the work involved.  Too bad the blooms only last one day!



6 comments:

  1. Glad it's doing much better.

    Will be out most of the next 2 weeks. Will catch up as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your garden will be beautiful with the hibiscus and azalea! so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your climate, hibiscus is delicate and handled meticulously, overhere it just grows... and people tend to take hibiscus for granted. But when they flower, it's all colours... red and red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the sacrifices are worth it, aren't they? I'm glad your hibiscus is a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the upkeep and maintenance paid off! How great that it's come back. Can't wait to see it flowering its socks of soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sprayed with ecosmart because some invisible insect is eating the leaves from the outside edge back to the branch in. But after one thorough spraying the leaves look very damaged. So wonder if ecosmart is not right for hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad