Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Garlic Scape Pesto in my future.

I noticed last week that the garlic scapes were beginning to grow!  Woot woot!  So excited.  I let them grow longer and waited to harvest them.  This is my first time growing hardneck garlic so I Googled what harvested garlic scapes looked like. They looked about a foot long in length.
Today, I saw that the garlic scapes has grown a lot in a week, and especially since it rained yesterday.  I decided to harvest most of them.  It weighs just about a pound.  I've never made garlic scape pesto before.  I've seen that a lot of garden bloggers make it.  I can't wait to try it!  If you know of a good recipe to recommend, would love to try it!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I made Dahne's [Dandelions] garlic scape dressing with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great garlic scapes! Can't wait to hear about your pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll like it. I gotta pick mine, had to resist on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so nice all stacked together. Can't wait to hear about the pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, that is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm...I love garlic scape pesto. Grilled garlic scapes are great on a home made pizza too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've used them for garlic bread. It was alright, not quite as good as the real thing though. Congrats. The first time I saw them (the scapes) I had no idea really what they were. Not sure if you've cut them all, but it might be fun to let one grow and to leave the bulb in the ground and watch it flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I planted my garlic in September 2010 and up until now I didn't see any scapes growing and the leaves are turning brown, time to harvest them..
    I did find some scapes on my onions (or leeks, I forgot what i planted :o(

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad