Sunday, May 15, 2011

Our First Iris of the Season

It's been raining all morning, and it's welcomed. It hasn't rained in 9 days so our rain barrels are empty. It's forecasted to rain for 4 days straight, that's a lot of rain. If only I had more rain barrels. On the blooming front, here's our first Bearded Iris to bloom. I love Irises. It's strange out of 7 or so plants, only 3 actually blooms every year. I wonder why that is. I'm thinking of pulling the other plants, unless... anyone has any ideas why they might not be blooming?
I love the contrast of the Iris with the Sedum and Ferns behind it. The previous owners planted these, but I really like their choices. I'm not sure the name of this sedum, my mother-in-law called them Hens and Chicks.  Do they look familiar to you? I love ferns, and these come back every year. I wish I knew the name of these ferns, I would like to put them in other shady areas of the yard.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. We are having the same rain...rain...rain forecast. I love that you have rain barrels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the iris and ferns. I can just smell the grape scent.

    [My new blog address is www.gracepete.blogspot.com. I'm just letting everyone know. Thanks.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is all we have been getting here is rain ;( ENOUGH for us already! My iris patch is almost ready to bloom :) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fern looks like my ostrich fern. Glad to see your first Iris. We're a little behind still with the tulips and narcissus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually that is a Euphorbia or Cushion Spurge. Pretty Iris bloom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be patient... Plants sometimes need a year or two to get established.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My irises didn't bloom at all the first year after planting (gift from friend). The second year about half of them bloomed. And this year, the third, about 75% of them are blooming. And I think they're the same ones you have -- beautiful, aren't they? Do yours have a slight scent?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so funny - all of these questions you're asking on your blog, I was going to make blog posts of! I have been RIDICULOUSLY busy this month, and I am missing out on writing posts. :( I really miss it! Make sure that some of your bulb is above the soil. If you bury the bulb, they won't bloom. I learned this last year! Also, they hate being transplanted, so try not to move them, unless it's very early spring or late fall. :D

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad