Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sweet! But oh...Rotten!

When we were up visiting the family farm, the one thing that we noticed is how close the community is. When one farmer needs help, neighbors do not hesitate to help out.  We found out that one of farmers that my father-in-law is friends with had a tragic fire in his barn and all of his livestock perished.  This is really sad since this is his livelihood.  My father-in-law decided to give him 2 of his pigs that he's been raising on the farm to help him start over.  I thought that was pretty awesome.

The brown pig in the photo is a pig that my husband and I purchased to be raised on the family farm.  He's been raised on 100% organic feed and organic vegetables grown on the farm.  I got a lot of flack when friends and other family heard that we are raising a pig to later be our consumption, and that my husband named him "Yummy"...but to be honest, I rather know that my pork was raised ethically and organically.  He gets an outdoor pen to run around in and a stall in the barn to sleep in.  I can't say for sure how the plastic wrapped pork that I buy at the supermarket was treated or what they ate.  Since my father-in-law gave his other two pigs away, we decided to share the brown pig with my in-laws.  It's the least we could do for raising Yummy for us.

When we were at the farm, one of their neighbors dropped off a gigantic watermelon for us to take home.  How nice is that??  They heard that we were visiting and they dropped it off!  So sweet. 
I couldn't wait to try it.  It was sweet and delicious!
As I continued cutting the watermelon, I noticed that the bottom half of it was all rotten!  Oh no!!!  It was a wet mess.  I managed to salvage half of the watermelon that wasn't rotted.  Everything else that was inedible went into our compost so nothing went to waste. 

11 comments:

  1. You will love love love that pork! We buy a share on a local farm here and the taste is amazing and I love that I know that hog had a great life while it lasted, happily snorting his way through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!

    I'm sure if some knew how their meals were 'raised' before they made it to their plates...

    Well, you know -

    ReplyDelete
  3. That watermelon is huge! It looks less pink than the ones bought at the store. How would you compare the taste? And Yummy is a great name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in New Mexico this summer I bought the most gorgeous bright yellow melon that was perfect on the outside. When I cut it open it was all fermented liquid - so disgusting. I guess you can't judge a melon by it's skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meems! Out here in the country most folks raise their own meat... so I know what you mean!

    I'm thinking about chickens next year! Got to do something about all those grasshoppers!

    That was real nice of your folks to help their neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a generous offer to give the pigs, it makes me feel good to know there are still people like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in for a real treat, homegrown pork is far, far better than anything you can get from the local grocer. Lucky you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me wish I had a place for a pig to use for meat. When I was little-my Papaw's pigs got out one time-and chased me and my cousin up the road. I wish I had a video of that : )

    Watermelon is my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great when the community reaches out to one another. Very clever of your husband to name your pig yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's so weird about raising a pig to eat? It makes perfect sense to me raise one and feed it like you'd want in order to assure quality meat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice about all the sharing that everyone is doing.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad