Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Backyard Homestead

This summer we went to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden for my birthday.  While we were there, we saw in their gift shop this book.  The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! We were intrigued so we picked up a copy.  This book is great for newbies like us.  It provides a general overview on how to make the most of your yard from growing fruits and vegetables to raising livestock.  Since livestock is out of the question for us, (except for a few chickens) it's still an interesting read, because the book provides tips on planning your garden, capitalizing on growing more in less space.  It also discusses nut trees, fruit trees and bushes, how to prune, and basic info on preservation.  Canning, making wine and cider, and drying food.  The book doesn't go into in-depth detail on process, however, I can see us using this as a good reference or guide book.  The book says that from a 1/4 acre of land you can harvest 1,400 eggs, 50 pounds of wheat, 60 pounds of fruit, 2,000 pounds of vegetables, and 75 pounds of nuts.  I'm not sure about the growing wheat, and we don't have chickens yet, but the 60 pounds of fruit and the 2,000 pounds of vegetables is definitely a good goal for us.  My ultimate dream would be to raise enough vegetables and fruit on our 1/3 of an acre to sustain us all year, so this is a challenge I would love to undertake.  I saw that Amazon is selling this book for $12.89 right now, which is 30% off retail price, it would make a nice holiday gift! Click here.

7 comments:

  1. A terrific book! I would love to see all the yards across America . . . the world . . . become back and front yard homesteads! What a great revolution that would be! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very interesting book...thanks for sharing. My favorite and most helpful gardening book is The Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Edward C. Smith. It's the only one I use on a regular basis. You should put it on your list for Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a book on my Christmas list. I'm hoping my parents will get it for me. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked a great book! My mom bought that for my hubby for his bday last year and we love it! It is like a bible that follows us outside and into the gardens as well as into the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit trees and bushes are a good investment. Pear and plum trees, blueberry and thornless blackberry are probably the easiest and quickest to yield.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Another book I have to try and track down here in Hingerland.

    Actually, no problem. Amazon stock it.

    You see, I did look it up in real time while writing this reply. Who says men can't multi-task?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll get myself that book for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad