Monday, December 13, 2010

Looking for a New York Deal!

Back in October, I complained in a post about how difficult it was to find canning jars for a decent price in New York City and the surrounding boroughs. I have no idea where to buy canning jars in this area, no grocery store or big box store that I've ever been in sells them.  I had a client meeting near Union Square and I popped into this housewares store in between meetings to kill some time and saw that they were selling cases of Ball canning jars.  Cool!!  However, I laughed out loud when I saw the prices though.
Here is a closeup for you to see.  Can you believe they are selling a case of wide mouth quart jars for $21.50!  hahahahahha!  Those coveted quilted jelly jars that I love are $21.45 a case for 12 oz jars.  It's like seriously??  You can buy a case cheaper on the Ball website with the shipping included!  I know the mark up has to deal with the fact that New York commercial rent is incredibly expensive since real estate is at a premium, so therefore merchants need to increase product prices in order to cover expenses such as rent.  I can't afford to pay this much money for canning jars.  We're going back to visit the family farm in Upstate NY in January, so I'll have to stock up on cases of jars when we go visit.  We buy cases from their neighbors who are Amish, and they only charge $6.50 - $7.50 a case.  They buy the cases wholesale from a distributor, so I'll have to put in a big order of canning jars!!

10 comments:

  1. Those are some outrageous prices. When you buy, don't forget lids for the size jars you buy. Might as well save money on those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better yet, buy them at yardsales. That takes a bit more time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute story on living in NYC. NYS for that matter, where excessive taxes are a way of life. The jars probably are $7.50 per case, but the tax on it is $14.00!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! We pay per case depending on size and store, anywhere between $7-$12.

    You might be better off ordering yours online if you cannot find them anywhere at a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are horrific prices...yikes. I love that you can by canning jars from your Amish neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness! Now I feel silly about all the times I've balked at paying $7 - $12 per case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unreal. I'll have to remember to look at the prices this spring on ours down here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food is trendy? Trendy people have money? I bought all my jars at a garage sale if I remember correctly. Worth their weight in money I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. What a difference!

    I've noticed that ball lids work with regular recycled apple butter/mayo, etc. lids. My canning friend said those would work fine with hot water canning but not with pressure canning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe those prices!?! Shocking. I think you are smart to stock up on jars when you go visit your in laws.
    I've found second hand stores to carry a good selection of used jars (especially during the off season) and cost between 33-50 cents each depending on size.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad