Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Rewind

We've had family over since Christmas day, so I've been behind with blogging.  My sister's family flew in from Chicago and my mom and dad and other sister's family came in from New Jersey.  We hosted them for 4 days.  I live here with just my husband and 3 cats, so it's nice to have a full house.  I've also hadn't had time to blog because we had a blizzard that dumped 29 inches of snow onto Staten Island.  We received the most snow out of all the 5 boroughs, the snow is amazing, but after 3 days of it, it starts to get annoying.  Slush, black ice, public transportation suspended, a complete travel nightmare.  So, what does one do when you are snowed in?  You eat, and you eat.  For Christmas, my dad made an amazing meal.  He's a professional chef so he does all the holiday cooking, which is a special treat for us because he never cooks at home.  Something about not bringing work home with him.  (hahahaha)  Here's a view from the head of the table, where my dad sat. 
For an appetizer, he made shrimp cocktail.  This was delicious!
For dinner, my dad made stuffed green peppers, stuffed eggplant, potatoes au gratin, filet mignon and mussels with black bean sauce.  We also had hot and sour soup for an appetizer.
The potatoes au gratin were made with potatoes grown on my husband's father's family farm.  My dad makes it incredibly rich, not only does he put heavy cream in it, he also puts sour cream, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Holy cholesterol on a plate! 
He stir fried the mussels chinese style with black bean sauce, garlic and scallions.  This is my favorite way to eat mussels.
Hope you all had a great  Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. I think I put on a few pounds just looking at those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful feast!! I can't believe that you got that much snow....wow!! We were supposed to get 10" however, the storm tracked about 10 miles east of us and we only got a couple of inches at most. I was disappointed....but, better then all of the snow that you got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...everything looks so good! It's 7am and I'm drooling...boy oh boy could I eat some mussels and let's not forget "cholesterol on a plate"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good gosh it is 8:29am here and I am starving for this meal :)

    I LOVE mussels; sounds interesting prepared with a Black Bean sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, at least you get to work off all those calories shoveling snow!!! Snow is beautiful in moderation, after that it does get quite annoying but at least you know it will eventually melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky to have a professional Chef in the family.

    A great feast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Lucky you having a chef in the family! Those potatoes look soooo good, and I would just gorge on those mussels.

    Sounds like you had a great Christmas, except for the snow. It's great to see family at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that all looks delicious. And very very filling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks as if you all had a wonderful time together! With the looks of that food, I bet there was no leftover problems! Except for people that ate too much and were "left over" at the table! Ha! Ha! It looks great!

    Happy New Year!
    Veggie PAK

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad