Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Garden to Table Challenge Win!

This summer, Greenish Thumb hosted a Garden To Table Challenge meme, where other bloggers like myself wrote about what we grew in our gardens and how we used our harvests in our meals.  It was a lot of fun to participate because it became a fun challenge to see what type of interesting recipes came out of using homegrown seasonal ingredients, like five alarm chili with homegrown habaneros and heavenly potato and leek soup with family farm potatoes and leeks.  It's amazing how much variety comes out of eating out of your garden.  At the end of the season, Greenish Thumb had a giveaway and picked three names out of all the participants of the challenge.  My name was one of the random winners and she sent me this book.  The Vegetable Gardener's Book of Building Projects.  I had a lot of fun participating every week in the GTTC posts, and winning a book was a special surprise.
The book is a great resource for gardeners.  It details how to build simple projects to enhance your garden, from compost bins, to potting benches, cold frames and trellises.  Perusing through the book, I saw a lot of projects that the hubs and I could build.  Such as this picnic table.  I've been wanting a table for the backyard, and have been nagging the hubs to build us one.  This book gives diagrams and instructions on how to build the perfect picnic table.  Even though my husband liked this book a lot, he couldn't help but roll his eyes at all the projects I added to our "to do" list for Spring / Summer of 2011.  Hahahahaha  Poor guy, this is what he gets for being so handy with power tools!
Another awesome project in the book, how to build your own Arbor.   Oooh, ahhh.  I want one of these right next to my new future garden shed that he's building.
Here's another project, a hanging planter.  Isn't this just the coolest?  I want to make one of these to hang from our many trees in our backyard.  It's so unique!  Thanks Greenish Thumb for sending us such a cool book. There are so many cool ideas in this book, I definitely recommend getting your own copy or getting one for that handy gardener you know!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win!!!
    Your recipes are always wonderful, so it's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the book ... I like the projects you showed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that arbor! Kudos on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great book! Nice to be thinking about summer at a time like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A well-deserved congratulations to you! That book seems to be full of cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a very neat book! Useful stuff for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, this looks like a wonderful book.:) My wife has been asking for a picnic table...perhaps I need to check out a copy of this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on winning the book. It looks like a wonderful resource. I hope you'll be eating meals at your new picnic table by next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, it looks like a pretty good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha - I saw the title of the book and knew it would be perfect for you two energizer bunnies. Have fun with it and I can't wait to see all the projects you end up making!! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad