Monday, December 20, 2010

Farewell Pumpkins

We had two pumpkins sitting on our front porch in the fall.  They looked great.
We left the pumpkins outside, and we noticed some kind of critter started to attack it.
So I decided to bring it inside and cut it up, and everything but the seeds went into our compost bin.  I didn't save any seeds to plant in out garden because these are not baking pumpkins.  If we are to grow pumpkins, I would want sweet ones that are tastier for baking and eating.  I figure, pumpkin plants are really large and if I sacrifice gardening space for them, I at least want them to be delicious ones.  These pumpkins we had are watery and tend to be tasteless.  I think the critters, aka evil squirrels enjoyed them though.  ;)

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it nicer if you had left it just there for the squirrels? Anyway you just throw all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just HATE squirrels!! I trapped 18 last spring. It was nice not to have those darn #%&!! squirrels around. By the end of the growing season, a new bunch had moved in. I guess I will be trapping again in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Us too! My son saw the pumpkin on the front steps this morning and said "time to hurl it off the deck" - its one of the few times of year I actually encourage his destructive tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you must have baked the pumpkin seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the day, I actually made pies out of regular pumpkins and they turned out pretty well, or else I was too young to know better. ;)

    I wanted to be sure and wish you and your family a joyous and blessed holiday season and say thank you for being a "neighbor" and sharing. See you in the New Year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about pumpkins having to be good to eat if they take up garden space.

    I consider squirrels to be "tree rats". They cause a lot a damage to my garden every year. For those people that trap them, be discreet if you are turning them loose somewhere else. Many different states have SUBSTANTIAL fines for releasing trapped animals into a new area. I couldn't believe it, so I checked and it's true. They are worried about diseases being spread. My question is: Then why don't they do something about them at our homes? We don't want diseases there either.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad